1. After an incredibly chaotic week at work, Ian and I went out to sushi on Friday evening. We decided to try sushi x in River West [again] because neither of us could remember if we really liked it the first time we went (over a year ago and I think pre-blog).
We both really enjoyed it! To start I had their salad with ginger dressing and Ian had hot spinach with peanut sauce and then for our actual sushi, we split a caterpillar roll and an order of white tuna and hamachi nigiri, I had an avocado roll, and Ian had their omega roll. It was delicious!
2. Saturday morning I woke up super early and got my long run on. Before I headed out I had a rice cake with sunflower butter, raisins, and chia seeds and then during my run I had a mocha clif gu shot (1/4 at mile 10, 12, 14, & 16). This way of fueling really seemed to work for me and I could see the difference in my mile splits! Most importantly, it was absolutely gorgeous out and I had a wonderful run. I can’t wait to get out there next Sunday!
3. When I got back from my run, I refueled with an amazing smoothie. I blended 1 frozen banana with 1 scoop protein powder, 1 cup almond milk, 1 big spoonful of chocolate peanut butter, and maybe 2 T oats to thicken everything up. It was awesome!
I also made a veggie hash to hold me over until book club at 2:30. I pan-fried a sweet potato, onion, and mushrooms and then added lots of spices and tomato paste. I topped the hash with TJ’s fat free black bean dip.
4. We had our book club meet-up on Saturday afternoon and Diana was sweet enough to host this month. We feasted on lots of fall dishes: maple butternut squash casserole, apple butter, hot cider, and pumpkin hummus [...to name a few] and attempted to actually discuss last month’s book Dark Places by Gillian Flynn (author of Gone Girl). We all really liked it and some of us liked it even more than Gone Girl. It’s definitely worth reading!
5. After book club, I met Ian at Hackney’s to watch the Michigan-Nebraska game. I don’t have much to say about the game but we did enjoy a nice, light dinner.
I wasn’t too hungry after book club but I figured I should eat something to help my muscles recover so I ordered a glass of wine and a garden salad. Ian also ordered a wedge and some fries for us to split. Fries covered in ketchup seriously have to be my favorite “junk” food. Yum!
6. Sunday morning I woke up early to eat breakfast before heading over to the Thriller in Schiller. I had two buckwheat & chia waffles topped with sun butter, pumpkin mixed with pb2 and pumpkin pie spice, and a drizzle of maple syrup. This hit the spot and was easily digested before the 5k (10 am).
7. The Thriller in Schiller was an absolute blast! Our costumes were silly (Kelsey, Emily, and I dressed as coneheads) and the course had just enough obstacles to make it challenging but not too intense. I’m going to do a race review/recap tomorrow but all I can say is that I had so much fun and I am seriously considering running the Schiller Chiller 10k on December 1st. Hey, maybe I’ll even wear a costume to that .
8. I didn’t have coffee before the race and I felt awful/tired/sick afterwards. I went home, ate some soup, and parked my butt on the couch for a few hours. Much needed!
9. After running some errands (including grocery shopping!), I made this awesome salad for dinner.
I’ll admit it would have been better had I made the tofu included in the recipe but as I don’t do soy I skipped it. Next time I’d make the tofu glaze and use it on salmon or something else to add another flavor/texture to the dish.
10. Ian and I spent our Sunday night catching up on our DVR. It was just what I needed!
11. My appetite has been off the past few days (and my throat hurts so I hope I’m not getting sick!) so I decided to keep breakfast light today and have some cereal. I mixed 1 cup puffed millet, 1 T walnuts, 1 T pepitas, and 1 T raisins and topped it with about 1 cup almond milk, 1 small banana, a sunflower seed butter spoon, and a little honey.
12. Ian just told me the market is closed today because of Hurricane Sandy and he has the day off. Everybody on the East Coast keep safe!
What did you do this weekend?