1. On Friday night, after what felt like THE longest week ever, Ian and I headed over to the new Taco Joint location in River North. We had a Groupon to use that promised us each a margarita and three tacos and National Margarita Day felt like the perfect time to cash it in.
The margaritas were full size, strong, and really refreshing. Taco Joint was not joking around and handing out baby sized drinks like I was afraid they would. I sipped mine slowly and was able to enjoy it throughout my meal.
We were both really hungry, so we split an order of rojo guacamole (avocado with roasted tomatoes, roasted onions, and roasted red jalapeno salsa) and chips. The guacamole was incredible and the roasted salsa added a really nice kick. If you like spice, you’d love the rojo guacamole.
Next, we each ordered our tacos. Our waiter told us that he preferred to put taco orders in one or two at a time, so the other tacos don’t get cold while you’re eating, so Ian and I each ordered two tacos first followed by one more for me and two more for Ian.
I tried the camaron taco (back left – grilled chile and garlic spiked shrimp garnished with avocado salsa and crispy flash fried spinach), a chicken taco with avocado and red cabbage (bottom left), and an al pastor taco (not pictured – marinated grilled chicken breast garnished with Serrano-pineapple pico and tangy tomatillo salsa). They were all incredibly tasty!
2. On Saturday, I had planned on waking up early and taking a pilates/yoga fusion class at my gym. Unfortunately, when I woke up my butt was really sore from level 2 of Jillian’s 6 Week 6 Pack so I decided to bail on the class and get a few more hours of sleep. It was absolutely worth it. I woke up at 9 feeling like a new person and ready to tackle my recovery run.
3. I’ve been sitting on a J. Crew gift card since Christmas and I finally made my way to the store downtown to do a little shopping with some friends. After looking around and passing up many of the cashmere sweaters (not currently in my budget..), I finally found a really pretty dress that I know I will get a lot of use out of.
Now I’m on the hunt for a cute mustard colored belt to wear with it. We checked H&M and Marshalls and had no luck, any ideas?
4. Ian and I enjoyed a lazy Saturday night watching lots of tv. We watched a movie, American Ninja Warrior, and Impractical Jokers, it was so fabulously lazy.
5. Ian and I signed the lease and turned in our checks for the new place! I still can’t believe it’s happening and I’m so excited! On Sunday, we decided to go grab lunch at one of our favorite sushi spots (near the new place!) and then explore the area. I was pleased to see so many trendy little restaurants and an awesome grocery store that sells only local products close to our new apartment!
6. One of my new “guilty” pleasures is microwavable instant oatmeal packets. When we were in Florida for the Goofy Challenge, I picked up some Publix brand raisin, date & walnut packets to eat in the room and as Quaker makes something very similar, I haven’t looked back since. It’s just oh so tasty and easy to throw a packet or two in the microwave when I’m running late in the morning. No shame!
7. Also, March 1st is the last day you can register for Pretty Muddy with the early registration discount. That means that if you register before March 1st, your race entry will be $59.95 but if you register afterwards, you will be charged $69.95. I’ll be doing the Chicago race and I’m sure it’ll be a lot of fun (disclosure: I am a Pretty Muddy race ambassador and my entry was free).
How was your weekend? Do anything fun?