Wednesday – OFF
Thursday – 13 miles tempo with 9 miles at marathon pace (mp miles – 7:18, 7:32, 7:28, 7:31, 7:32, 7:29, 7:29, 7:30, 7:41; average pace – 7:46 min/mile).
Friday – Easy effort 6.2 miles (average pace – 8:42 min/mile).
Saturday – Easy effort 11.75 miler (average pace – 8:27 min/mile).
Sunday – Easy effort 10 miler (average pace – 8:30 min/mile).
Monday – Easy effort 8 miler (average pace – 8:37 min/mile).
Tuesday – 11.1 mile strength run with 3 x 2 miles at 10 seconds faster than marathon pace with 800 m recovery (strength miles – 7:22, 7:28, 7:25; average pace – 7:50 min/mile)
Total – 60.05
- My tempo run on Thursday was awesome. My legs felt fresh from skipping a strength run last week (recovery from the Chicago Half) and I just wanted to run fast. I ran at the same effort that I’ve been doing my other tempo runs but felt much faster. I hope I feel similarly after taper.
- Unfortunately, on Friday, my right calf started to bug me. It doesn’t hurt and I can’t tell that anything’s wrong when I’m walking but after a few miles of running, it felt tired and weak. I took Friday easy and skipped the miles I was thinking of adding to the prescribed 6. I stretched, foam rolled, and massaged my calf (there’s a knot in there) but I could still feel it on the rest of my runs this week. Interestingly, the tightness seems to feel better when running faster and breaks up during the second half of my runs. I have no idea what this means. I ended up scheduling a sports massage for Friday and hopefully it’ll help!
- On Saturday I ran one of my normal routes (out-and-back) and on my way back there was a helicopter carrying a small black object flying over one of the bridges I need to take and the road was blocked off. Huh. I ran a few blocks over to the next bridge only to find it was under construction. Thankfully, the third times a charm and I managed to cross over the river somewhere. It added some mileage but it wasn’t a big deal. I am so curious about the helicopter though, I couldn’t find anything when I Googled it.
- I don’t usually run in compression socks/sleeves but for my calf’s sake, I tried a few times last week. I’m not sure it helped my calf but it was nice having some extra warmth on my legs during the chilly mornings.
- Speaking of chilly mornings, the elements were back this week! I had a rainy run on Sunday (LOVE) and then so so so much wind on Monday and Tuesday. I think this means fall running is finally here… well, maybe after tomorrow’s high of 80 degrees.
- Have you guys seen this article? Would you run a marathon that banned selfies?