1. Sorry things were a little bit sponsor heavy on the blog last week. I had two posts waiting in queue and unfortunately was asked to post both in a row. The Malibu sweepstakes is still open but I did want to announce the winner of the FrogFuel pack…Mike Dalton! I will be e-mailing you to figure out the deets.
2. Spring is a hectic time to work in academia. I feel like every important deadline happens to fall between May and the end of June. I really felt it this past week and even with going in early most mornings, I still had to stay late on Friday… boo. By the time I got home, I had no desire to do anything but lounge on the couch and hang out with my boys.
3. I woke up early on Saturday and headed out for a solo 3-mile run before Ian and I left Chicago to drive to the Run for Boston 5k. Unfortunately, about three-quarters of the way there, Ian had car trouble and we had to call for a tow.
It was raining, so we hung out in the car for a few hours while we waited for the tow truck to head our way. As luck would have it, after waiting five-ish hours, we found out the tow truck had decided not to come and we had to wait for another one. Thankfully, one of Ian’s friends had taken pity on us and picked us up to grab lunch but we were all pretty stir crazy after waiting around at a Shell gas station all day.
4. Fortunately, we weren’t stranded in the middle of nowhere and I was able to find a Target within walking distance. Hello, cheap new work shoes!
5. We made it back to Chicago with just enough time to shower, change, and head out to The Vic to see The Tenderloins, the comedy troupe behind Impractical Jokers (if you haven’t watched the tv show, you need to ASAP because it’s absolutely hilarious). The show was really funny although a little bit short which worked out perfectly because Ian and I had plans to grab Taco Joint for dinner!
We split an order of rojo guacamole and then I had two tacos, the camaron (grilled chile and garlic spiked shrimp, garnished with avocado salsa and crispy flash fried spinach) and the cochinita (Yucatan style pulled pork garnished with picked red onions and spicy habanero salsa). Taco craving satisfied.
6. On Sunday, after an early longer run, Ian and I headed out to run our errands. We grabbed Starbucks, went to Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods, and even visited the animals at the Anti-Cruelty Society. Ian was craving a sub for lunch so we stopped into an Italian bakery and deli near our apartment where I found the world’s largest cannoli.
7. I also started a new book that I bought at the Printer’s Row Lit Fest, The Beautiful and Damned, and happened to find this written on one of the pages.
8. In Sonic news, he now believes that our kitchen rug is a large bed for him. He used to sleep in one of his beds (yes, plural) placed throughout our apartment but recently he’s started laying on the rug. He also refuses to move when we’re in the kitchen…
9. I’m working on a post about the training plan I’m using for the Chicago Marathon including why I chose it, how I’m adapting it, etc but I thought I’d ask you guys if you had any specific questions that you’d like me to address. If you do, let me know if the comments!
Obviously, my weekend was kind of lame (outside of my control…) so what did you guys do over the past two days?