1. How amazing is this three day weekend? I think we all need more of these in our lives.
2. I did end up getting out an hour early on Friday. Woohoo! I came home and watched old MTV shows until Ian came home. I was so burnt out that I could only handle trash tv. When Ian got home we were both so tired that we scratched our evening plans and hung out around the apartment. It was nice to be lazy.
3. I ended up just throwing together a bunch of stuff to make dinner on Friday night. I took cooked pasta, sun-dried tomatoes, shrimp, and spinach and tossed them with lemon juice and olive oil. It was pretty fantastic.
4. I’m on a protein powder hunt. I want something that is pea/hemp/chia/brown rice based and has low sugar but some flavoring. A few weeks ago I picked up a couple samples and on Saturday I decided to whip up some hot oats using Amazing Grass.
I added half of the packet to some oats made with 1/2 cup oats, 1 tsp chia seeds, 1.5 cups water, and some blueberries. The oatmeal was a little green but really good. I just wish Amazing Grass had more protein per serving. It’s a little low to be considered a protein powder (its more of a supplement). I crumbled a snickerdoodle blondie into the oats as well.
5. Saturday was spent cleaning and getting stuff done. Ian and I took on the apartment in the morning and then headed out to Walmart to pick up a new trash can, coffee pot, and some other random stuff and TJs to go grocery shopping. It was a go-go-go type of day and left me exhausted. Seriously, I could not stay awake and kept falling asleep in the car.
6. While we were out I realized that I had missed lunch. Whoops. Ian grabbed a bahn mi sub and some frozen custard and I checked out falafill. It was awesome. The falafel are both gluten-free and vegan and come in three different flavors: original, curry, and seasonal. Customers have two options, a pita or a bowl, and then once they receive their food (mine was made fresh), they can fill up on sides, pickles, hummus/baba ganoush at a huge salad bar. Even better, all products containing dairy or wheat were marked. It was great. I got a bowl and loaded up on roasted beets, eggplant, hummus, tahini, pickles, etc. I’ll definitely be back!
7. Saturday night we had friends over to watch the Michigan vs. Alabama game. The Wolverines did not play well at all (or Alabama was just that good– it was hard to say) but we still had a good time. I love football season!
8. On Sunday morning I woke up super early to get in my long run before the rain. I fueled with half a piece of millet toast with almond butter and chia and then headed out the door. I completed 15 miles and have no idea what pace I ran because the impending rain caused me to leave my Garmin at home. Oh well, I really enjoyed it though. After not being able to run for so long, I appreciate anything I can get!
9. Ian and I went out to Meli Cafe after my run. My breakfast was just so-so but I loved my carrot, apple, and celery juice.
10. I took two naps on Sunday (bringing my grand total of naps this weekend to 4). Yikes. I hope I’m just incredibly worn out and that I’m not fighting off anything. I don’t want to get sick.
11. I ate dinner after waking up from a nap and I was not in the mood to cook anything fancy. Instead I made a Mexican inspired millet bowl.
I cooked some millet and then stir-fried zucchini, mushrooms, dino kale, and black beans. I stirred everything together with a little mole hot sauce and Frontera salsa. It was really good for being so easy.
12. I always like to treat myself to a nice dessert on long run days so yesterday I made a banana bread milkshake. I used almond milk and my banana wasn’t frozen but it still tasted pretty good!.
13. I had big plans of going out last night but my body just wasn’t feeling it. I was struggling to stay awake and my allergies were acting up so I knew going out to a bar was not the best thing for me. I ended up falling asleep at like 10:30 on the couch watching Felicity. Obviously this was the sleepiest weekend ever.
14. I slept in until 9 this morning (what is my problem?) and then made a pot of warm oats using a new protein powder from Whole Foods.
This baby is made from pea protein, hemp protein, and rice protein and has 22 g of protein per serving. It is also relatively low in sugar with only 2.67 g of sugar per scoop.
I added half a scoop to my oatmeal along with strawberries and salted pecans. The oatmeal was really good but I was so sad to see the end of my pepita butter. I may have to beg my mom to pick some up for me on her way to Chicago in October .
15. My plans for the day are up in the air. We may go to a BBQ or we may go see a movie. I also might cut Ian’s hair, if that happens please wish me good luck!
16. Have a wonderful Labor Day!!