I’ve decided that rather than coming up with New Year’s resolutions for 2013, I’m going to focus on a few goals that I’d like to accomplish in the next year. Hopefully, firm goals instead of loosely defined resolutions (like I had in 2012…) will be easier to remember and achieve .
1. PR in the marathon.
I know I am capable of this and I also know that I need to run smart to achieve this goal. No injuries in 2013!
2. Speaking of the above… foam roll every day and if possible 2x/day.
I know this sounds extreme but I’m not very good about stretching and I tend to have very tight calves that could potentially lead to injury. As I increase my mileage, I need to be more conscientious of other issues like flexibility, stretching, muscle weakness, etc.
3. Increase my mileage to XX/week while running more “slow” miles.
I’m not sure what the upper bound will be but I’d like to safely increase my weekly mileage while also listening to my body and knowing when too much is too much. If I’m going to successfully do this and not injure myself, I’m going to need to run my recovery runs even slower than I do now. The bulk of my training will have to be in the 8:00-8:30 min/mile range with a few days of speed work thrown in.
4. Get back to triathlons and compete in a longer distance tri.
Most likely this will be olympic distance but it may be a half-Ironman if I can’t run a fall marathon.
5. Run more races than I did in 2012.
I took me until the end of 2012 to appreciate how much I like racing, even if it’s just for fun. I want to sign up for more races with friends next year and enjoy myself!
6. Lastly, I have one goal for this old blog, I’d like to give it more direction. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to make my blog all serious but I would like to blog a little more purposefully. I have some ideas but I’m not quite sure what exact changes I’ll be making in 2013– TBA.
Do you have any goals for 2013?