1. On Friday night, Ian and I went to Cafe Iberico and decided to enjoy some sangria, split a few tapas, and then each order our own paella so that we would have leftovers for the weekend.
The first thing we split was the ensalada mixta (Spanish style mixed salad with asparagus, beets, hearts of palm, endive, dressed with our vinaigrette and wine dressing) which was good but I could have done without the iceberg lettuce.
Next we split the gambas al ajillo (grilled shrimp with olive oil, garlic and wine) and Ian tried the croquetas de pollo (chicken and ham puffs served with ali-oli sauce). I really liked the shrimp and thought that the restaurant did a good job of seasoning them.
I decided to order the vegetarian paella and it was overcooked and just okay. I also thought it was weird that Ian’s pork paella had beans in it and mine didn’t. Oh well, I didn’t end up eating that much of it and gave most of my leftovers to Ian.
I think I’d go back to Cafe Iberico but probably only for drinks. The restaurant had a nice vibe and was very upbeat but unfortunately, the food didn’t wow me.
2. I decided to do my long run on Saturday to avoid the rain on Sunday and was unpleasantly surprised to still get rained on and to face some nasty wind. It was quite the foreshadowing run of winter workouts to come. It definitely could have been worse, but I was much happier after I reached my turnaround point and ran home with the wind at my back.
3. Saturday afternoon, I went over to Bethany‘s to decorate cookies. Bethany provided the decorating supplies (along with quite a few cookies!) and we brought lunch and more cookies to decorate.
After lunching on salad and veggies we got to decorating cookies.
I am quite possibly the least creative and worst cookie decorator of all time but it was still a blast to hang out with the girls and be all festive. Thanks again Bethany for having us over!
4. I was planning on running a few shakeout miles on Sunday morning so after sleeping in until 9, I convinced Ian to come along to the gym with me (it was raining).
Unfortunately, my gym wanted to charge Ian $20 for a guest pass which is totally unreasonable and not worth it for a 30 minute workout. At that point I decided to forget my run and we did our grocery shopping instead. I felt like a bum for skipping some miles last week but the gloomy weather and my gym’s stupid policies really made me unmotivated.
5. The rain started to pick up quite a bit during the afternoon so after walking back from Trader Joe’s and changing out of our soaking wet gym clothes, Ian and I decided to order in sushi for lunch and watch Netflix. We decided to order from Butterfly Sushi Bar (because they were both open and delivered to our apartment) and were pleasantly surprised by how good everything was!
We each started with a green salad (babymix green, tomato, avocado, sesame seed and mango with asian ginger dressing) and then split four rolls (it was a little much but Ian was really hungry).
We tried the not pictured ninja maki (snow crab meat, seared asparagus, avocado wrapped with seared super white tuna, wasabi and black tobiko, and scallions – we asked for no mayo), the not pictured summer maki (tuna, yellowtail, jalapeno, avocado, cilantro, and chili oil), a salmon and avocado maki, and then a hamachi jalapeno maki.
My favorites were the summer maki and the hamachi jalapeno.
Now tell me, how was your weekend?