1. Hey guys sorry for being MIA yesterday. After a busy Sunday that ended with a beer tour (more on that later) I convinced myself that I would be able to write a post Monday morning before heading out to the burbs for a work meeting. Obviously my logic wasn’t great because I had to be up and out the door by 6:15 a.m. and no post happened. Yikes.
2. Let’s back it up to the weekend. A busy Thursday and Friday led to a pretty low-key and chill Friday evening and Saturday. My day and a half can pretty much be summed up by wine, oats in a jar, scrounging up leftovers, and pb toast before bed.
There was also some football, Bossypants reading (finished), Joy Yee, Freshii (our fridge was bare- I needed my veggies!), and a short run thrown in there.
3. I spent Sunday morning logging 16 miles on the treadmill. Don’t even get me started on the fact that the rain stopped after about 5 miles but I was too lazy/annoyed to get off the treadmill, walk home, and then head back out to finish my run. The good side of the story is that I caught up on my news, caught some Tool Time (ha!), and tried a GU with no problems (although I took it bit by bit). The bad side? I was on the treadmill for over two hours and now I’m really sore, not from the distance or the pace, but the fact that I was striding differently. Ouch.
4. On Sunday I grabbed lunch with Katie at Bountiful Eatery, a completely gluten-free & healthy restaurant in Lakeview.. I hadn’t seen Katie since our last book club and I’d missed her at the marathon so it was great to catch up for a bit! Of course we forgot to snap a pic of us together, I need to get back on my game!
In full disclosure, Katie was asked to come in and check out the gluten-free restaurant and she was sweet enough to invite me to tag along. Fortunately, I came hungry because they definitely let us try a lot of menu items .
We each started with one of their soups of the day. Katie tried their vegan spinach and I had their vegan squash. It was fabulous!
Next I tried their kale veggie wrap (kale, chilled medley of roasted zucchini, summer squash, red pepper, and onion with balsamic dressing) only I had the wrap in sandwich form on a gluten-free & egg-free bread. I’m so glad they were able to make the substitution for me (the pita had egg in it but looked fabulous), the bread was amazing! I also had a side salad.
Lastly, they were nice enough to bring out a gluten-free and dairy-free dessert from Rose’s Bakery (Bountiful Eatery carries their products). We both sampled the raspberry tofutti bar and enjoyed it but after soup and a sandwich we were pretty stuffed and hardly made a dent!
Bountiful Eatery is definitely worth checking out. Their food is good, healthy, and does not taste gluten-free (and I mean that in the best possible way– you can’t tell everything is gluten-free). They also have an extensive smoothie menu, I can’t wait to go back and try one!
5. After leaving Katie, I met up with Ian to go on a beer tour through Lakeview. The tour started at Harrigan’s then went to Bodega Ramos, Paddy Longs, and Delilahs all in three hours. Over that span of time we were each handed 16 tastes of beer. Needless to say we all got a little silly. It was even more entertaining that three of the men on our tour were frat brothers celebrating a 40th birthday. Pure comedy.
Paddy Longs is a beer and bacon bar so with every pour they brought out a different kind of bacon. I was planning on just giving my pieces to Ian but the bar decided to really hook me up. Free hummus platter? I’ll take it!
6. Walking Dead started Sunday night yay! Unfortunately because of the above beer tour I only made it through about half of the episode before falling asleep on the couch. Walking Dead airs at 8 pm CST by the way. #oldpeopleproblems.
7. Mondays are the only days during the week that I sleep in past 5 am. Unfortunately, yesterday I had to wake up before 5 am– Molly I don’t know how you do it! I also knew that I’d be in a meeting from 8-1 without any known breaks so I made sure to eat a big breakfast.
This is 1/2 cup oats, 1 1/2 cups water, 1 tsp chia seeds, 1/2 scoop protein powder, a little more than 1/3 cup pumpkin, banana slices, and walnuts. It was hard to get all this down so early but it held me over until 12:30 pm. Not too shabby considering I ate breakfast at 5 am.
8. Unfortunately I ended up having another meeting after my meeting and my “lunch” consisted of an Enjoy Your Life Sunbutter Bar. Let’s just say by the time I got home at 3 pm I was not only tired but also hangry. I knew I couldn’t wait until dinner to eat but I also didn’t want to snack the afternoon away so I ended up enjoying a kale waldorf salad and sweet potato soup for “linner”.
The salad was phenomenal by the way and I’m sure you could make it with any greens if you’re a little wary of raw kale.
9. “Linner” actually worked well until about 8 when I started to get hungry again. Enter my kindergarten snack plate: celery with hummus (x2) and sunflower seed butter (x1) and almond butter and jelly toast.
10. Now tell me, what have you been up to? I feel so detached after being away for one day !