Detroit Turkey Trot

Hello- Happy belated Thanksgiving! I decided to give myself the day off from blogging yesterday to spend some quality time with family and friends.

Ian and I made it to Michigan by 11 p.m. Wednesday night. Sonic did surprisingly well in the car, much better than last time. He even used the litter box while we were driving (we put it in the backseat). What a good boy!

Turkey Trot


Thursday morning was an early one! The turkey trot started downtown at 7:45 am (6:45 am for Chicagoans) so we had to leave my Mom’s super early.

I had a Blueberry Muffin Larabar before we left for some fuel and a few bites of homemade cake. Mmmm

Traffic was horrendous getting downtown. I didn’t think I’d make it to the race start in time. In fact, runners had started getting out of their cars and running along the side of the highway to make it to the race on time. Luckily, my Mom was able to get close enough to the race start to drop me off before heading over to park. Even still, I made it to the start line with only 5 minutes to spare.

It seemed like as soon as I got into my corral the race started. My initial goal was to run a 7:20 min/mile for the whole race and come in around the 45 minute mark. This seemed reasonable after my Hot Chocolate 15K a few weeks ago. However, I got caught up in weaving through runners and after completing the first mile I checked my watch and saw that I’d run a 6:50 min/mile. Eek!

My legs felt great and were ready to run so I decided to go for it, I was going to run as fast as I could for 6 miles figuring that if I had to slow down I could. This seemed to work for the first half of the race but by the time the second half rolled around my lungs were feeling it. In addition, the boring course was starting to get to me. I really don’t like point-to-point courses. We ran up one street and then back on the same street, then up another street and back again. So boring! Thankfully, the costume contest kept me entertained as I saw many runners in funny costumes (hello native american with chest paint!). Also, the turkey trot is sponsored by the Detroit Thanksgiving Day Parade so we saw lots of floats and parade-like items.

I ended up finishing on goal in 42:52.

A 6:55 min/mile, 35th out of all women, and 11th in my division? I’ll take it ;)

I always have a hard time finding my spectators after races in Detroit. This has happened at the marathon, half marathons, and previous turkey trots. After my mom and I finally found each other, she snapped a picture of me.

After the race we drove back home picked up a sleepy Ian and went out for breakfast. Not much was open, hello Thanksgiving!, but I feel like breakfast out is tradition after a race. I didn’t take any pictures but I had a vegetarian omelet with eggwhites, hashbrowns, and toast. It was just what my body needed!

My mom, Ian, and myself ran a few errands (we’re doing our Thanksgiving Friday) and then relaxed for a few hours. I dropped Ian off at his mom’s house for their dinner and then headed to my Dad & Stepmom’s house to celebrate with them. We went to a huge party so I didn’t take any pictures and just enjoyed talking with and meeting new people.

I drove back to my mom’s after and relaxed with her for a bit before calling it a night.

I woke up starving this morning so I had a bowl of mashmallow o’s with almond milk, a banana, and some coffee.

I have no idea why these pictures are so grainy!

I’m headed out for a short run to loosen my legs before a busy day. Have a good one!